Good Morning, friends!
How’s your week going so far? Stick around to the end because I have a delicious summer salad recipe for you! Let’s take a look back on a day of eats. This was from last Friday!
Breakfast: Overnight oats eaten out of an empty Noosa container in the sunshine before an early morning client. The noosa yogurt flavors are on point.
Snack/Lunch: 2 of these little blondie bars from Amanda with an apple. YUM! And whole foods salad bar for lunch.
Snack: I had a 6pm client at the gym, and I needed something to hold me over until dinner. I bought this Quest Bar from the gym. It was tasty and filling!
Dinner: Leftovers of this salad recipe below and I added some extra tofu I snagged from the WF salad bar earlier. This salad is so so good, and very addicting. And then I had to have a few cookies for dessert, of course 🙂
Are there any foods you crave in the summer, warmer months? I talked about eating watermelon at a cookout over the weekend. Watermelon is one of those foods I could eat allll day long. It’s so refreshing! I also love pineapple, summer peaches, pasta salads, gazpacho, kebobs and grilling out much more in the summer!
I set out to create a summer salad with a bunch of different summer flavors. I tweaked it as I went and based many of the toppings off of my last Produce Box order! I was so happy with the end result.
Ya’ll, this salad might be the best thing I’ve ever made.
It’s delicious, healthy, colorful, antioxidant heavy, flavorful, delicious…did I mention delicious? It’s the perfect summer dish with blends of fresh greens, fresh fruits and a creamy homemade yogurt dressing. Note, this salad can easily be vegan (omit the cheese), but would need to be paired with a different dressing of your choice!
Confession –> I’ve actually been eating the yogurt “dressing” by the spoonful, as actual yogurt. It’s so addicting!
If you’ve never had mustard greens before, they definitely have a bitter, horseradish -like taste to them. You’d be able to pick them in a blind taste testing session because they do taste like mustard! I definitely suggest massaging them with olive oil, lemon and garlic before hand to help minimize that bold, aggressive, “in your face” taste.
Mustard greens are also a little softer than the kale leaves I’ve paired them with. Make sure to wash them well. Double rinse them! I put mine in my Oxo Salad Spinner (affiliate link). I love this thing – quick and easy!
Let’s talk about some of the nutrition and health benefits of this salad:
- Polyphenols and Antioxidants, help with prevention of chronic disease and counteracting oxidative stress
- Vitamin C for cell and tissue repair, wound repair and protection from free radicals
- Healthy fats (avocado, hemp seeds, whole milk yogurt) for brain and skin health, satiety
- Ample fiber for moving things along and fullness
You’re also getting extra protein from the hemp seeds, feta cheese, and creamy yogurt dressing! Winner in my book!
- ½ cup brussel sprouts
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms
- 5 lacianto kale leaves, rinsed
- 2-3 cups chopped mustard greens, rinsed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- juice of two lemons
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- ⅓ cup strawberries
- 2 medium peaches
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup snow peas
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 2-3 ounces feta cheese (optional; omit if vegan)
- For the dressing (omit if vegan):
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey (add an extra tbsp. if you like it sweeter)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Squeeze of a lemon
- Wash and slice the brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Turn stove on medium high heat, and add olive oil. Sautee the vegetables until golden brown (the brussels will need a little longer than the mushrooms).
- Double rinse your greens. Massage the kale and mustard greens in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and a little bit of sea salt and lay the bed in your salad bowl.
- While these are cooking, wash and cut your fruit to top the salad. Gather your ingredients for the salad dressing and mix (the longer you let it sit, the thicker it will be). Taste it. You may want to add more or less of one ingredient to match your preference.
- Top with additional toppings, including nuts, seeds, cheese, or even meats.
This is one of those recipes that you can wow your friends with. It’s easy, but it’s so fresh and flavorful. We couldn’t get enough of it. And you can have it ready in about 30 minutes, and can top it with any toppings of your choosings!
Make extra dressing because this stuff is amazing.
Pin it for later!
What are your favorite fruits to put on salads?