These Blueberry Chocolate Chip Donuts are made with whole wheat flour, and packed with blueberries and chocolate for a gooey, delicious, slice of goodness.
All the donut lovers out there, raise your hand! I have two hands and two feet raised.
Because I love donuts. They are so fun, and I’m excited that they’ve been trending in the last few years.
I think donuts can be a fear food for some people because they typically provide no nutritional value and are high in sugar and fat. Not everything you eat has to be nutritious or full of nutrients. Sometimes, you just want and need a good old donut.
Although these donuts are pretty healthy. They’re comin’ at ya with a fiber punch, unlike those refined donuts (which I still enjoy from time to time).
Plus, chocolate + bluebs = SO.MUCH.GOODNESS.
It’s no secret I love throwing bluebs into baked goods. Like my favorite loaf of quick bread. This month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to make something delicious using three ingredients we already had on hand – a spring clean out, if you will. Well, number one, I always have frozen bluebs. I also rounded up some whole wheat flour and some greek yogurt, since you’ll find those in the kitchen 95% of the time.
I pretended I was on Chopped and played out opening my basket seeing those ingredients. And you guys – my mind went right to donuts.
These are perfectly soft and if you like a little bit sweeter, add the vanilla icing.
Sidenote: If you don’t have one of these little guys (affiliate link), I promise it’ll be the best $10.00 you spend this week.
Eat them while they’re hot because that’s when they are fresh, soft, and the icing oozes into the donuts. They will harden slightly upon cooling, so if you like tougher donuts, make extra to save for the rest of the week!
- 1 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Icing (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray your donut pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, vanilla, butter, almond milk and greek yogurt. Gently fold in half the blueberries and chocolate chips, and save the rest to top.
- Pour batter into donut pan, filling generously, using the other half of the blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Mine came out perfectly around 16 minutes. Once donuts are cooled, add icing if prefer.
Pin it for later!
Favorite munchkin flavor? I used to love the glazed and jelly ones growing up!
If you were given berries, yogurt and flour on chopped, what would you do with them?