This week, I’ve been all about the fresh vegetables. Something about going out of town and eating out all the time, indulging more than normal…your body just knows. It wants all the fruits and vegetables possible this week.
I love eating out and trying new restaurants, but let’s face it: no one can do it every day. It’s expensive, and you can’t always control all the ingredients you’re eating. Plus, sometimes a girl just wants to lounge in your own abode in sweatpants with a glass of wine that doesn’t cost $9…Am I right?
We all most likely have some sort of “bucket list” of recipes we’d like to try (ahem Pinterest). I have SO many that I hope to start trying and sharing with you guys, and chronicling them as I check them off the recipe bucket list. So in the spirit of fall and pumpkin everything, why not start with a healthy twist on pasta. I present to you, Cheesy Veggie Pumpkin Spaghetti Squash.
I love following recipes with minimal ingredients. I’m not someone who can have 100+ ingredients on hand or who wants to go on a wild goose chase to track down a million things – what if I don’t use them again? I try to keep it simple because that’s how I like it. It’s more achievable for me that way. So for this recipe, you’ll just need whats below and any type of cheese and plain greek yogurt.
I also love spaghetti squash. Sometimes I get intimidated and think that it can be so daunting to cook but FALSE. It’s super easy. All you do is throw it in the oven. And it’s so similar to angel hair pasta, it’s a great replacement for less overall calories, plus it has Vitamins A and C, which pasta doesn’t have. Not to say pasta isn’t healthy (it can be!), but for me at least, it’s hard to stick to serving sizes without shoving it all in my mouth.
Inside tip – Trader Joe’s charges a flat rate for spaghetti squash, rather than by the pound, so it’s much cheaper! I think mine was $2.29. After cutting it lengthwise in half and scooping out the seeds, I coated the inside with sea salt and pepper, and a little bit of olive oil for extra flavoring. I preset the oven to 375 and baked it face-down for 45 minutes. Just before the squash was done, I mixed together the creamy pumpkin cheese sauce, and then once the cheese melted, added the veggies and BAM! Not only do you get Vitamin A, you’re getting ample Vitamin C, antioxidants and fiber, plus nutrients from whatever veggies you add in.
Cheesy Veggie Pumpkin Spaghetti Squash
Makes about 2-3 servings
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total: 55 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash (mine was medium size)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to coat
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Cup Greek Yogurt
- 3-4 ounces graded cheese (I used cheddar) + some for topping
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- Slice spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. You can save them for roasting later if you desire. Coat the inner halves with olive oil, salt and pepper and place face down on baking pan or sheet at 375. Bake for 45 minutes.
- In a medium pot on medium-high heat, combine pumpkin puree, greek yogurt, cheese, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Lower the heat and stir occasionally until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Mix in spinach and Brussel sprouts (or whatever veggies desired).
- Scoop spaghetti squash out into a bowl. Add cheesy sauce with vegetables. Top with sage or herbs and extra cheese!
Substituting kale for spinach would also be delicious or you could also add broccoli or zucchini. For a thicker sauce, you could use cream cheese instead of Greek yogurt, but I kept mine healthier with the Greek yogurt!