Hi guys! I’m so excited about today’s post because I’ve done alot of research that I’m excited to share with you. And I have a super new recipe that I am completely obsessed with. As in, I would make it every day for the rest of my life, obsessed, and be completely okay with that.
Let me start and pose this question: What’s the truth about breakfast anyway? Is it the most important meal of the day? Do we really need to eat it within 30 minutes of waking up? How do we know what’s the truth or just a rumor? To celebrate Meatless Monday, head on over to Deborah and Sarah’s page to see yummy Meatless Monday recipes.
So, I’ve always been a breakfast lover. It’s my favorite meal of the day. Scratch that – BRUNCH is my favorite meal of the day. It’s between breakfast and lunch, and often includes all my favorite breakfast foods, except just MORE of them. Totally amazing, right? Any foodie loves the choice of eggs, fruits, pancakes/waffles/French toasts, mimosas, muffins, and the whole spread. Brunch is the perfect excuse to try it all.
What does the research say?
Well, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Evidence Analysis Library, research has shown that normal weight subjects and people maintaining weight loss tend to eat breakfast regularly that include fiber, and that skipping breakfast can be associated with a higher BMI and increased obesity risk. A majority of research shows that eating breakfast may have a protective effect on preventing and/or treating obesity and type 2 diabetes, and promoting overall health in young people.
Of course, this will be dependent on what we choose for breakfast, but it is a good practice to keep in mind. I’m not recommending to go order an Egg McMuffin everyday, or buy store-bought pancakes and load them with sugar-laden syrup.
What does a healthy breakfast look like?
- Complex carbohydrates (think oats, whole grain toast, quinoa, sweet potatoes, fruits, veggies)
- Healthy fat (eggs, avocados, nutbutter, nuts/seeds). Read more about why I love eggs and all their rockstar benefits in this post!
- Protein (eggs, nuts/seeds, milk, yogurt)
- FIBER to help keep you full and rev up your digestion! (nuts, seeds, whole grains, fruits, veggies, flax)
Of course there’s a reason your mom never let you leave the house for school without eating breakfast! And there’s a reason that many nutrition experts recommend it is the most important meal of the day.
Let’s talk about some of the benefits of breakfast:
- You want your breakfast to set you up for the day! You’ve just been hibernating all night, right? Your body wakes up and needs fuel to get you through the upcoming day’s adventures.
- It’s tasty (DUH)
- Glucose gives us energy and helps us concentrate (at work or in school). In fact, many studies such as this one, have shown that regular meal times and healthy breakfast choices were associated with better school performance and improved cognitive function
- It may help us distribute energy more evenly throughout the day and prevents us from overeating at subsequent meals and snacks (Source)
- It’s a common habit of successful people who have maintained weight loss
- In provides endurance, which is great in helping us maintain and fuel for an active lifestyle
- It provides essential vitamins and nutrients (assuming we are choosing healthy options with fiber, whole grains, protein, healthy fat)
- Breakfast skipping has been linked to poorer diet quality overall (Source)
Furthermore, breakfast consumers exhibit better glucose control throughout the day compared with those who skip a morning meal
So, now that we know the many reasons about why we should be eating breakfast, let me leave you with a fabulous #meatlessmonday breakfast recipe to try any time of the day. This breakfast pizza is filled with whole grains (complex carbohydrates), ample fiber from the sweet potatoes and veggies, healthy fats and satiating protein from the eggs and cheese, and all around flavor, meeting all of the qualifications for a balanced, healthy, salivating breakfast.
Pin it for later!
Since I love dippy yolks, I folded the flatbread over ever so gracefully. Everything is always good when you #putaneggonit.
Or, eat it like a pizza!
What’s your favorite meal of the day?
Do you have a go-to breakfast recipe?