I welcomed myself to the 30 and over club last month, and I thought it was a good time to re-evaluate my bucket list. After all, I’m a girl with a long bucket list, which was obviously part of the inspiration behind this blog.
In the reader survey, a large number of you mentioned liking the day in the life and personal style posts. So, here’s a little insight into some of my proudest personal accomplishments and bucket list “check offs.” And insight into what I still want to see, do, and accomplish! I want to get to know YOU better too, so please leave a comment below and share something on your bucket list. Linking up with Amanda for Thinking out loud!
Also, thank goodness for Facebook. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have so many of these old gems available. But, some of these experiences are before Facebook was available, and now I’m motivated to find the original copies of some of these older memories.
30 Things I’m Proud Of (And Crossed Off My Bucket List)
1. Snorkled in the Great Barrier Reef
2. Explored the Italian wine country and ate pasta in Italy (a must do!)
3. Completed 4 half marathons
4. Carried the Olympic Torch through Providence, RI in 2002 (wish I had a picture!)
5. Was an All American High School Athlete
6. Went to the Indy 500
7. Explored Yellowstone National Park
8. Bought a house!
9. Got a graduate degree from UNC Chapel Hill
10. Won a Division I Conference Championship in softball (this was at Fordham University, in New York)
11. Been on tv! (in commercials)
12. Won a high school state championship
13. Married the man of my dreams
15. Was the first ball girl for the Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA of the Boston Red Sox)
16. Been a big sister to three amazing, highly accomplished siblings
16. Moved 1,000+ miles away by myself on two occasions (RI to SC, where I would later meet Ed, and NC to Portland, OR)
17. Talked to Roger Clemmons on the phone
18. Worked onsite at Nike for 3 months
19. Met Ken Griffey Jr! (My athletic idol)
20. Sold a car (from the dealership lot)
21. Donated hair to Locks of Love
22. Busted out a surprise, you-tube worthy breakout father-daughter dance
23. Learned to surf in Australia (circa 2007)
24. Threw a hundred person surprise 25th Anniversary party for the rents
25. Ran races in Nashville, Massachusetts, Virginia, NC, SC, and soon I can add Georgia to that list
26. Hiked two 14-ers (14,000 foot mountains) in Colorado
27. Been to major league ballparks in Boston, New York, Houston, Cincinnati, Detroit, Florida, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Arizona, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles
28. Been to 7 James Taylor concerts, including a memorable one at Fenway (hoping for a few more!)
29. Started this blog (my first post!) It has evolved so much and I know it will continue to evolve. THANK YOU for reading!
30. Had a picnic in the park (everyone needs to do this!)
30 Things Still on My Bucket List
1. Run a marathon (SCHEDULED November 5th)
2. Start my own Private Practice
3. Go sky diving
4. Hike part of the Appalachian Trail
5. Go on a 50 mile bike ride
6. Host an epic dinner party
7. Start a garden
8. Try cross country skiing
9. Do a sprint triathalon
10. Brew my own kombucha (Has anyone tried one of these scoby’s?)
11. Stay in a bed and breakfast in Maine and explore Acadia National Park
12. Take a hot air balloon ride (over somewhere pretty, like here)
13. Drive across the country
14. Make pasta from scratch. Gotta do it once, right?
15. Go deep sea fishing
16. Have kids
17. Make my own sushi
18. Adopt a rescue dog
19. Food tour in Charlotte (crazy to think I haven’t done this yet)
20. Visit Alaska, Bora Bora, New Zealond, Switzerland, Ireland, Greece (and many more).
21. Do a marathon in another country (perhaps this one).
22. Visit a farm and interview a farmer (hope to do this for the blog soon!)
23. Say YES for an entire week (Isn’t this a challenge, but fun to think about?)
24. Go sailing
26. Take a cooking class
27. Learn more about wine (We should all have some appreciation, right?)
28. Reteach myself to play the piano (I used to perform in recitals when I was younger)
29. Be a mentor to someone
30. See the Northern Lights
Some of my favorite life lessons:
Don’t take anything (or anyone) for granted.
Don’t push things back, in case you never get a chance to travel or experience them. Live it up while you can now!
Write down your goals. It really makes them so much more real.
Enjoy good food (OBVIOUSLY). Focus less on the day to day “diet” mindset, and more on the big picture. If you have a chance to eat a great steak or a homemade cheesecake, do it! And, don’t do cheat days.
Get out of your comfort zone.
Don’t take your health for granted. To be able to experience things on your bucket list, you’ll want to be healthy, and diet is one thing you have control over!
Challenge yourself. Don’t settle.
Do what makes YOU happy (I switched careers three times before I found nutrition).
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be proactive more than you are reactive.
So, tell me. What are you proud of doing and accomplishing, and what’s still on your bucket list?